PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Classic Toys are the Best! {Birthday Fun}

Although Hudson's birthday party with all of our friends is not until Saturday, we couldn't let his actual birthDAY go by without a little family celebration. We invited the grandparents for cake & ice cream and had the best time watching him devour his very first cake! Click collage to see it bigger.

I decided to go with a "classic toys" theme and use the bright colors and simple shapes as inspiration. This was perfect since I had everything on hand and could pull toys from his nursery to use as decorations. So other than the balloons and the wooden letter blocks this was a zero cost party!!! Just goes to show you that you don't have to spend a lot of money to make a big impact...you just have to be creative!

A "few" more pictures...because when it comes to pictures, MORE IS MORE :)

The birthday boy! I think Hudson has the sweetest smile ever in this picture and I love that he still looks "baby" in all his chubby glory. Of course, I couldn't let his special day go by without making a few of my fun birthday hats. Next to cake, party hats are a necessity in my book when it comes to children's birthday parties. I love how bright and fun these turned out to be! You'll be seeing these fun little plates again (with a little twist) at his Dr. Seuss party this weekend, but here I mixed them up with some leftover cups from the Halloween carnival we
co-hosted last Fall for a bright, cheery look. I found the paper plates at Target shortly after Hudson was born and fell in love with the colorful dots and retro design. Ditto for the napkins, except they came from the Michael's $1 bin. I bought several packages of both not knowing for sure what I would do with them but knowing they would come in handy soon enough...and they did!

These fun little wooden whistles were leftover party favors from Grace's 1st birthday! Aren't they sweet? I was so happy I was able to work them in for Hudson's 1st birthday - I'm sentimental like that :) The cake - a yummy triple chocolate fudge layer cake with vanilla buttercream icing. Not perfect by any means but made with love to celebrate my sweet boy's first year. The little wooden toys were Hudson's first set of "boy toys" given to him by our close friends The Blakeley's. I love classic toys like that and I love that Lance's best friend gave them to our son. I made a twin 6 inch "smash cake" for Hudson, this time french vanilla (saving chocolate for his party this weekend). What to do with all that extra batter after making his mini cake...well, CUPCAKES of course! Confetti sprinkles = HAPPY! A little peek at the fun table. A little birthday hat meltdown. Hot, tired baby + Birthday hat = Grumpy Baby (did I mention the heat index registered 110° and I could only get our house cooled down to 80°?) Take the hat off and suddenly we're HAPPY once again! Add a fun little whistle and you can sneak that hat if you're quick ;) Hanging out with Mimi & Pop Taking a little break with Noonie A certain little someone couldn't resist the candy jar ;) Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday dear Hudson,
Happy Birthday to You! Make a wish! Cake Time! There's that silly hat again...but that's okay I've got more important things to worry about. Thanks sissie! Who knew birthday parties were so much fun?
I'm having the BEST time! Aunt Lexi made it just in time to see me make a big mess! Talking Daddy into just one more bite! So messy but Oh, so Happy! What? Don't all birthday parties include a bath mid-party??? Time for presents! I'm ready to go! Beep, Beep! All of a sudden someone was VERY interested in "sharing" :) Happy 1st Birthday, Hudson! ...and here's to many more!

36 comments:

Sweet P Preston said...

I am so glad you like the toys!! Happy Birthday, Hudson and many more.

Julie

P.S. Love his expression in the picture after eating the cake...the third one in the collage of 3. too cute

TaDa! Creations said...

What a fun party you had to celebrate Hudson! Can't wait to see pics of the next one. I completely agree with Julie, the look on his face is one I've never seen before. Makes him look mischievous. :)

Happy Birthday Sweet Hudson! We miss you. Your friends in Minnesota.

Virginia said...

Great party, sweetheart.
Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for the one on Saturday!

Amber said...

Your parties always wow me!!! Great job again. Love all the pictures of sweet Hudson!!! Can't wait for the next party! BTW...I will be mailing out the fabric for Reese's party hat tomorrow...sorry it has taken me so long!

Amanda said...

Darling! I love that you just used what you had and still produced a really great party prior to the "big party"...morepeople should do that in my opinion! How did you get your icing yellow?

Heather L. said...

Love all the pictures! Such a fun party!

Sherri said...

I absolutely love love love your birthday party! You have a beautiful family..and I am so excited to follow your blog!

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for all of your sweet comments!! We had a great idea celebrating Hudson's first year.

Amanda~ I'm all about trying to incorporate what we already have so thanks for your kind words!! To make the frosting yellow I just added a few drops of food coloring at a time until my frosting was the desired shade of yellow. You can find the food coloring at any grocery store, right next to the cake mixes, usually by the candles, sprinkles, etc. (Grace loves to help me create "magic" with the frosting - she's my baking assistant :)

Cheyenne said...

Gosh, I just love this!

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your Blog. Your children are adorable, and you all look so happy. My 3 year old daughter loves to look at the photos of your kids, she always says they are "smilin at HER"! What fabulous ideas you always have. As a matter of fact I was searching for a project last year when I was guided to your blog, it's now a favorite.

Happy Birthday Hudson, you have a lot of admirers.

P.S. Those whistles are GREAT, where did you find them?

Jessica said...

First, I should clarify that my comment above should read "We had a great TIME (not idea) celebrating Hudson's first year." What a goof ball I am!!!

Thank you Cheyenne & Robins Nest for your super sweet comments!! You made my day!

Robins Nest~ I LOVE those wooden whistles!!! I bought them on ebay back in 2008 from seller id: styleforyourlife. She is no longer selling on ebay, but I found some similar ones here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clown-Slide-Whistle-Classic-Wood-Toy-Party-Favor-/360259057257?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e11cf669

from ebay seller: petchy

When I bought them I wanted to make sure they were lead free and I liked that hers were non-toxic and lead free and made in the USA. I'm not sure about the ones in the link I provided since I have not bought from that seller before.

Have fun and tell your little girl they sure are smiling at HER! :)

~Jessica

Tasha Horsley said...

your party looked fabulous! i love how you did the little table with cupcakes and cute photos, etc. very cute idea. the bright colors were really adorable too!

hudson looked super sweet in his red and aqua outfit and party hat!!! both your kids are cuties! :)

have a great weekend!

tasha
A Little Sweetness

Spears said...

what a great party, and this wasn't even the "big" party...your energy and creativity amaze me! I love all of the cute details, especially the balloon wreath in the collage...did you make it, or order it?
Happy Birthday Hudson :)

Jessica said...

Thanks, Sarah!!!

I made it using this tutorial as a guide:

http://www.howdoesshe.com/birthday-wreath

It will soon be sporting a big aqua blue "H" in the middle for his party on Saturday...just couldn't get to that on Tuesday! :)

Jenn said...

Happy B-day Hudson!! What a fun little party....such cute details! can't wait to see all you have in store for us after the next one! He is just adorable :)

Jenn

Jenn said...

Happy B-day Hudson!! What a fun little party....such cute details! can't wait to see all you have in store for us after the next one! He is just adorable :)

Jenn

Leanne Helums said...

I recently found your blog bu blog hopping around and I LOVE it. You have the cutest ideas. I've made my mother a long list of cute clothes for my little girl from inspiration from you. Hope your little one has a great 1st birthday.

Stink Bone Jones said...

My goodness, too too cute for words! Loved all the fun bright and cheerful colors along with what you already had in his nursery. Great job mom!

Ashley said...

Ok...and this is SOOOO precious too!! Do you sleep? ;D Happy Birthday Hudson!

Unknown said...

So amazing! i just adore all the love you put in to everything for your beautiful babies. Love reading the blog, and seeing Grace and Hudson grow. Remember checking back time and again last year to see if Hudson had been born and he's one already. Where does time go?

Jessica said...

Awww...thank you all! And it is SO TRUE - they grow up WAY TOO FAST! *sniff*

Anonymous said...

Adorable!!! I love the theme!! Such a great idea to have two birthdays! One on the actual day and then the celebration! I have never blogged or new much about it but I am a avid follower of yours!!

One question..Where do you find colored pom poms? I have only seen red and white..never blue or any other colors you use for your party hats!

Love, Love your blog!!! Thank you for sharing all your amazing ideas!

Jessica said...

Thanks Kelly! I mostly buy the pom poms from Hobby Lobby, they have a great selection of colors and sizes.

Unknown said...

Moncler Kids
Moncler Men
Moncler Vest
Moncler Coats
Moncler Jacket Sale
Moncler On Sale
Ugg Australia
Ugg Outlet
Ugg Boots Outlet
Ugg Store
Ugg Slippers
Ugg Boots
Cheap Uggs
Cheap Ugg Boots
Ugg Sale
Uggs On Sale
Ugg Boots Sale
Ugg Boots On Sale

Unknown said...

louboutin shoes
longchamp outlet
jordan shoes
michael kors
longchamps
longchamp outlet
longchamp sale

Unknown said...

led shoes
tom ford eyewear
michael jordan shoes
air jordan
patriots jersey
stephen curry shoes
reebok shoes
adidas ultra boost uncaged
kobe basketball shoes
links of london

Unknown said...

nike polo shirts
chrome hearts online
yeezy boost 350
kobe sneakers
prada sunglasses
nike air max 90
adidas outlet online
adidas neo
longchamp
mlb jerseys

jeje said...

under armour curry 3
kobe shoes
pandora bracelet
curry 4
nmd
adidas nmd
jordan 11
adidas stan smith uk
longchamp handbags
nike mercurial

Unknown said...

cheap mlb jerseys
iniki
cheap jordan shoes
nmd r1
damian lillard shoes
yeezy 700
vapormax
longchamp handbags
hermes birkin
kobe byrant shoes

Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.5.26
moncler outlet
nike air max 90
pandora charms outlet
coach factory outlet
salomom shoes
nike soldes femme
atlanta falcons jerseys
christian louboutin shoes
ralph lauren outlet
oakley sunglasses

yanmaneee said...

adidas eqt
adidas superstars
jordan 4
crazy explosive
vapormax
yeezy shoes
yeezy
basketball shoes
nike air max 270
oakley sunglasses

Unknown said...

www0630

true religion outlet
cheap jordans
ugg outlet
ferragamo outlet
christian louboutin outlet
timberwolves jerseys
soccer jerseys
cartier jewelry
uggs outlet
christian louboutin outlet









5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.15
ralph lauren uk
salomon shoes
christian louboutin outlet
north face
ugg boots clearance
supreme clothing
christian louboutin shoes
jordan 8
canada goose jackets
christian louboutin outlet

Unknown said...

www1107





nike shoes
hermes belt
longchamp
coach outlet
supreme clothing
moncler jacket
kate spade outlet
manolo blahnik
air max 90
coach outlet






cashith said...

imp source bags replica ysl web link gucci replica handbags try this out Louis Vuitton fake Bags

stine said...

u0e27p3t56 e1h60n0w58 v9b96o7h72 b9e61x0q60 o8f36m8k27 p9x98x1w21